I’d like to be able to say which is easier: being a stay-at-home mom or career mom. My verdict? Differing daily functions, yet both are equally challenging and rewarding in their own way.
Random observations from my first two weeks back at working in hospital sales and management and juggling family:
- Ditched my summer Yellowbox sandals habit for some stylish heels to match every black outfit in my closet arsenal. BLISTERS y’all. Blisters after ONE hour! I like fashion. I like comfort more. Amazon…two day shipping…$25 comfy, basic pumps. BOOM.
- I love the way a hospital smells. Minus rare C diff encounters and such, of course.
- Developing a keen distaste for hospital fluorescent lights. They bring out every facial flaw, eye bag, wrinkle and stray gray root hairs within seconds of exposure. I’m a 41 year old mom of three. Help a sister out!
- I like to get to work early. That means leaving the house an hour early for kid drop off. Thank goodness for my in-laws with summer camp schedules. One word: Phew!
- My oldest two are becoming more responsible because they have to. Thumbs up.
- The wild child is LOVING full-time versus part-time daycare. Begged to go to school on a Saturday. Celebrate the win.
- I work with a lot of quality people. Since we spend just as much time, if not more, with our work family than we do our own family, that helps my heart.
- One night, the kids missed me so much they snuck their mattresses into our bedroom and camped out. Those mattresses are STILL there. It’s summer and mama picks her battles. New meaning to “piling in like pigs.”
- I’m so busy at work I don’t have time for luxuries like a lunch break. I scarf down something semi-healthy I bring from home and I’ve lost some weight. Raise the flourescent ridden roof people!
- I cleaned toilets one night at 10pm.
- Just found some dried slime on my couch from wild man intercepting his sissy’s daily collection from the last two weeks. Seriously considering just turning the couch pillow over and walking away.
- I wore my supermom cape a few times this week and threw dinner in the crockpot at 5:45am. Say what?
- One night I was so tired I completely forgot about the food in the crockpot and left it there overnight. (Yes, I remembered to at least turn the dang thing off.)
- I’m drinking more coffee.
- More socialization. Work has been like one ginormous family reunion because I know so many people and have missed getting to see them.
- I have ALOT to learn but I’m a lucky girl. I get to work in a job that mirrors my strengths. No job and no one is perfect but I’m going to be good at this.
- I haven’t mastered giving the family all of me when I’m home because I’m still adjusting to the transition. However, I will and it’s a positive that I understand that should be the end goal.
- The gym is still a priority because that’s my outlet and the one thing I do for myself. (Fist bump.)
- I ate a donut this morning. It was GOOD.
- Haven’t watched the news in two weeks and it’s been FANTABULOUS.
- Woke up spooning the dog this morning. Scandalous.
This season in life is an adjustment but it’s kind of one of those times where you dust off your super mom cape, maybe even iron it a few times (after you dust off the iron), and save the world one snotty nose, raging preteen hormone and customer complaint at a time. But first, more coffee and nerdy web content surfing…because it’s Saturday. 🙂